Saturday 5 February 2011

An Interview With The Fashion Diaries

So getting the blog of to fashionable start, I've got a special little treat for you! Something of which I have been (selfishly) saving for the last week or so whilst I got all set up :)
Introducing to you, the darling, Olivia Slack

Isn't that outfit adorable?

Olivia runs The Fashion Diaries , a blog dedicated to helping those of us who frequently stroll on into a shop and stare blankly at the masses and masses of clothes hanging before our very eyes, thinking to ourselves 'Now what the heck do I buy?' and the chances are you either leave with nothing, or something so ridiculous it gets thrown to the back of the wardrobe, only to see light years after and your first thoughts are 'What ever could have possessed me to buy that....' we've all had those moments right?
Well fret no more ladies, help has arrived.

But, instead of having me rambling on about why you should love this blog (and trust me, you will) I'll let Olivia herself do the talking....

Your Tumblr The Fashion Diaries, only started back in July last year, but by the looks of things you were already quite well known in the fashion blogging world for providing style tips, so how long have you been blogging for?
I had a personal blog before The Fashion Diaries, and only had around 50 followers, but when I started to write fashion related posts, I got a lot of positive feedback so decided to devote an entire blog to it. I feel super lucky that my blog took off so quickly, because most people usually have to wait for months to get any kind of following, but I've only really been blogging for 'fashion' since I started TFD back in July!

What started you blogging?
Fashion and writing are two huge passions of mine, so I figured, why not combine the two!

After looking through your blog, it's clear you have a natural eye for styling, and for picking up on new and existing trends. So how would you describe your own personal style?

I often try defining my style to people, but I find it hard. When I go shopping, I just buy things that I like, whether they're suited to one particular fashion movement or not. Obviously I take inspiration from the catwalk, but I like mixing it up a little. One day I'll go for the 'grunge' look, and another I'll be head to toe in chiffon and frills. My style all depends on my mood when I get out of bed and look in my wardrobe that morning.

You do a feature called 'Style Stealer' where you pick a celebrity and then find high street alternatives, but who's style inspires you the most?
At the moment, I'm loving the wardrobes we see on television. Gossip Girl's have an absolutely stunning wardrobe, of course, and I'm also loving what the girls in 90210 are wearing - particularly Annie, who is played by Shenae Grimes who I also follow for fashion!

I personally love your 'What I Wore' posts, is there any particular section of your blog you enjoy just a teeny bit more than the others?
I love the question and answers, just because it means I get to have a voice. People actually want my opinion on what to wear, which feels really great! I'll be adding lots more features in the next couple of weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for those!

Back in September you won Look magazine's blogger competition, and got to attend The LOOK Show! That must have been an amazing experience for you?
The whole weekend was a fabulous blur! It was only a couple of months after I'd started writing my blog, so it was great to get to attend fashion week - every fashion bloggers dream - when my blog was just a baby! I love that the show is a high street show too. Designer clothes are fab, but high street is my forté. I got to meet some other fantastic bloggers too, and not to mention the celebrities! It's great to attend a fashion week show and know that you'll actually be able to afford your favourite pieces when they're in store.

Do you have any future plans/hopes for The Fashion Diaries? Do you see it opening opportunities for you?
I know a lot of people use their blogs as a "stepping stone" to get them into journalism. That would be great for me, but I'd like to incorporate my blog into that somewhere rather than just leaving it as soon as it gets me my dream career. Ultimately, I'd like to work for a fashion magazine. I have an internship lined up for the Summer, so we'll see how it goes! I have a few plans to better The Fashion Diaries... whether they will work or not, who knows? It's all just about trial and error for me.

If you had £1000 where would you go and what would you treat yourself too?
I'd go to the store around the corner from my flat and buy a Mulberry bag. And I'd purchase some Sam Edelman 'Zoe' boots online!

And finally 3 reasons why you love your life?
My friends, My family and my dogs. They're the three main reasons!

Isn't she lovely? Yes, I think so too.

Now because of Olivia's eye for style, and my slightly shameful fear of the maxi skirt/dress that has been unleashed upon us all (is it just me? Or is anybody else weary that they just might not be able to pull this one off?) I couldn't help but to set her a challenge! I asked (very kindly) if Olivia would put together an outfit focused on the maxi trend, with a romantic twist. And just as expected, what a beautiful outfit it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment